Channeling Sophie's Garden

Carol's garden is in Port Hope MI, in a rural, lakeside community. She has lots of space and expertise. Laura' garden is located in Centralia WA, in a small suburban yard challenged by access to sun and space. Debbie's garden is in Deckerville MI, in a smaller rural yard, where rules are ignored.

Each of us is applying what we learned at at our mother's and grandmother's knees in space once owned by Sophie Mayer Birg Harter on Rangeline Road. Sophie immigrated to Detroit in 1908 from Heufeld, a once German (Donauschwaben) community of Hungary. Her hope lives on.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Herbs


I grow thyme, marjoram, parsley, oregano and summer savory. The summer savory is an annual and it is dried and used in several dishes. Pork, sausage, chicken and beans is where it is used most.
I make herb bundles from my thyme, oregano, marjoram and parsley. I pick, rinse, dry, put into small bundles and tie with kitchen string. I then freeze them individually in snack bags and then stuff the bags in a freezer bag. I then pop a bundle in soup, pasta, stews to flavor pull out the bundle. I like this method as it is easy, how much of each herb you put in your bundle depends on what flavors you like. They can also be done in individual herbs instead of mixing. My bundles are heavy on parsley and thyme then oregano and only a sprig of marjoram. Try mixing your herbs in your dishes to discover what you like best. That is the beauty of growing your own!

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea. I always dry them separately. Is the flavor the same as fresh or does it lose some of intensity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It loses some but you definitely get that fresh herb taste

    ReplyDelete