Channeling Sophie's Garden

Carol's garden is in Port Hope MI, in a rural, lakeside community. She has lots of space and expertise. Laura' garden is located in Centralia WA, in a small suburban yard challenged by access to sun and space. Debbie's garden is in Deckerville MI, in a smaller rural yard, where rules are ignored.

Each of us is applying what we learned at at our mother's and grandmother's knees in space once owned by Sophie Mayer Birg Harter on Rangeline Road. Sophie immigrated to Detroit in 1908 from Heufeld, a once German (Donauschwaben) community of Hungary. Her hope lives on.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Potting up tomato starts today


My tomato starts were started by seed 4 weeks ago in south-facing window. Luckily our windows are wide and tall and so capture a good amount of sun/light.

I plan to grow all my tomatoes this year in pots placed on the south side, in full sun.

Our sunniest area is also the most limited, space-wise, so I'm going to pepper the space with pots.

Today I'm selecting the strongest two of each variety and moving them to their new home.

I'm lining each pot with a layer of rock, a layer of compost, some blood meal, and then a mixture of organic potting soil and compost. And I'm planning to deep-pot in order to add dirt to the growing stock to give it more root space (to increase the plants' ability to carry nutrients) and stability.

My friends Pam and Kathy have generously offered to take the other starts off my hands.  :)

Saw this video on staking tomatoes and pruning suckers:

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/videos/pruning-tomatoes.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Looking good. I was planning on re-potting more today but it is cold and yes snowing again!! I had hoped to have mine out int he potting shed where they would get better natural light but it is still chilly in there.

    ReplyDelete