Channeling Sophie's Garden

Carol's garden is in Port Hope MI, in a rural, lakeside community. She has lots of space and expertise. Laura' garden is located in Centralia WA, in a small suburban yard challenged by access to sun and space. Debbie's garden is in Deckerville MI, in a smaller rural yard, where rules are ignored.

Each of us is applying what we learned at at our mother's and grandmother's knees in space once owned by Sophie Mayer Birg Harter on Rangeline Road. Sophie immigrated to Detroit in 1908 from Heufeld, a once German (Donauschwaben) community of Hungary. Her hope lives on.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

This is largest rosemary bush I have ever seen!

I walk past this bush in my workplace neighborhood. Incredible, right? It's the largest rosemary bush I've ever seen. Well now it's blooming.

I took a cutting to start one of my own. The varieties I have in my yard don't last the winter most years, so maybe this one will.

Remove leaves, buds for about 1-2 inch inches and set in water to root (or use a root-stimulator) and then plant in potting soil. I think maybe I'll keep in a pot for the first couple of years and then try setting it out side in a sunny location.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, I got mine to last thru the winter by taking it inside the potting shed, it got below freezing in there but it lived, the first time I got it to live other years it died but this one was in good shape. Do I see flowers on the stem your are rooting? If so you might want to pull them off as it will drain strength from it. I love the scent of rosemary. Shawn does not like it so I use it in cooking very sparingly!! I love to go out to the herb garden and rub my hands on the herbs for a scentsory experience!!!

    ReplyDelete