Channeling Sophie's Garden

Carol's garden is in Port Hope MI, in a rural, lakeside community. She has lots of space and expertise. Laura' garden is located in Centralia WA, in a small suburban yard challenged by access to sun and space. Debbie's garden is in Deckerville MI, in a smaller rural yard, where rules are ignored.

Each of us is applying what we learned at at our mother's and grandmother's knees in space once owned by Sophie Mayer Birg Harter on Rangeline Road. Sophie immigrated to Detroit in 1908 from Heufeld, a once German (Donauschwaben) community of Hungary. Her hope lives on.

Monday, July 18, 2011

tomato wilt

Looking for some advise from my gardening expert sisters. This happens to me almost every year with my tomatoes. The plants look healthy and there is plenty of fruit but the leaves start to die, mostly on the bottom. Not really easy to see with this pic.

I replaced my soil last year and am using disease resistant hybrid seeds.

Any ideas what is causing this (or is this normal) ? I plant them close together (about 2x2 ft apart) and water with a hose usually once a day (not sure if this is too much). I keep planning on getting soaker hose but haven't done it yet.

thanks

6 comments:

  1. Probably a fungus, there are lots of organic anti fungal s, check the best for your area, we use a coppercide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked into some more and it appears to be blight. I top water and with them being so close together I think it is making them more susceptible. I got some spray and hopefully can get it under control. I guess it's time to get the soaker hose too.

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you can also get control by getting more air flow going. Remove lower leave-only foliage at the bottom of the plant now that you have flowers/fruit. The plant doesn't need them. I remove the bottom 3-4". It gives me room to bottom water and gets the air moving which really helps to defeat fungus and minimize spread.

    As long as it is not affecting the fruit - don't worry about it. The plants are big enough to out grow the menace.

    And too much water - except that now it's really hot there, right? Watering depends on how well your soil holds moisture. Jab your finger into the soil 2" and see if there is moisture. If there is moisture, don't water every day. It makes for weak shallow roots. Force your roots to go deep by not watering daily. That's my advice for today. You'll receive a bill in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should say "leaf-only" foliage

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - love your garden website. Can you resend the link?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are your tomatoes doing?

    ReplyDelete